SD30 special (Safe Republican): Six candidates filed for the abbreviated race to fill the unexpired term of Sen. Pat Fallon (R-Prosper), who is running for Congress:
- Craig Carter (R), Nocona boot manufacturing business owner and unsuccessful 2018 primary challenger (15%)
- Andy Hopper (R), Decatur farmer and software consultant
- Shelley Luther (R), Pilot Point salon owner
- Jacob Minter (D), Anna electrician and union activist
- Drew Springer (R-Muenster), who has represented HD68 since 2013; and
- Denton Mayor Chris Watts (R), an attorney.
Early voting will begin on September 14 and run through September 25. The election is September 29. Candidates wishing to seek the seat had just five days to file with the Secretary of State, ending today (Friday).
Because of the very short timeline, no campaign finance reports will be required of the candidates until September 21, which is more than halfway through the early voting period. Candidates’ 8-day-out reports will disclose contributions received and expenditures made between the earlier of July 1 or the date they established their campaign committee and September 19.
Subscribers can read the rest of this report.
©2020 Texas Election Source LLC