Filing for a place on the 2018 continues until 6 p.m. local time on December 11. Please see our Crib Sheets for candidates’ filing status.
HD99: Fort Worth security solutions businessman and 2016 primary challenger Bo French announced he would seek a rematch against Rep. Charlie Geren (R-Fort Worth), who defeated French, 58%-42%. Their primary race was one of the most expensive in the state. Geren out-raised French, $1.3M to $546K, and outspent him, $1.7M to $580K.
HD138: Houston consultant Jenifer Rene Pool filed in the Democratic primary to challenge Rep. Dwayne Bohac (R-Houston). She ran unsuccessfully for Harris Co. Commissioner P3 in 2016 (42%) and for at-large positions on the Houston council in 2015 (9%), 2013 (17%) and 2011 (7%). Her 2016 Democratic primary win is believed to be the first for a transgender candidate in Texas.
Grassroots America: Tyler-based conservative group Grassroots America We The People issued a series of endorsements in Republican primary races:
- SD2 – Sen. Bob Hall (R-Edgewood)
- HD2 – Challenger Bryan Slaton over Rep. Dan Flynn (R-Van)
- HD8 open – Thomas McNutt
- HD9 – Challenger Garrett Boersma over Rep. Chris Paddie (R-Marshall)
- HD11 – Challenger Danny Ward over Rep. Travis Clardy (R-Nacogdoches)
- HD18 – Challenger Emily Cook over Rep. Ernest Bailes (R-Shepherd)
- HD23 – Challenger Mayes Middleton over Rep. Wayne Faircloth (R-Dickinson); and
- CD3 open – Sen. Van Taylor (R-Plano).
The group has indicated that it would support all members of the House Freedom Caucus for re-election. The group previously endorsed McNutt and Slaton for their unsuccessful 2016 primary challenges.
©2017 Texas Election Source LLC