HD14: Rep. John Raney (R-Bryan) announced he would seek re-election to a fifth term.
HD28 special: Four candidates have filed so far for the November 5 special election to fill the unexpired term of Rep. John Zerwas (R-Richmond), who is resigning effective September 30:
- Anna Allred (R), Houston anesthesiologist
- Gary Gates (R), Rosenberg real estate investor and former candidate for this seat, SD18 and RRC
- Clinton Purnell (R), Katy logistics specialist; and
- Eliz Markowitz (D), Katy educator and 2018 Democratic nominee for ED7 (41%).
Katy attorney Tricia Krenek (R) has a campaign committee but has not yet filed. The filing deadline is September 4.
HD65: Ahead of an expected candidacy announcement, the Kronda Thimesch campaign released a list of local endorsements, including Denton Co. Sheriff Tracy Murphree (R); Denton Co. Comms. Dianne Edmondson (R), Ron Marchant (R) and Bobbie Mitchell (R); Carrollton Mayor Kevin Falconer and former Mayor Matthew Marchant; former Denton County Judge Mary Horn (R); and former Reps. Ron Simmons (R-Carrollton) and Burt Solomons (R-Carrollton). Thimesch is one of at least two Republicans seeking to challenge Rep. Michelle Beckley (D-Carrollton), who also has at least one primary opponent.
HD100 special: Dallas attorney Lorraine Birabil (D) is the lone candidate to file so far for the November 5 special election to fill the unexpired term of former Rep. Eric Johnson (D-Dallas), who is now the Mayor of Dallas. At least eight other candidates have formed campaign committees for the race. The filing deadline is September 4.
HD122: Gov. Greg Abbott (R) endorsed Rep. Lyle Larson (R-San Antonio) for re-election. Abbott, who once called Larson a “complete failure” as a Republican, endorsed Larson’s 2018 primary challenger and contributed more than $135K to his campaign.
HD148 special: Four candidates have filed so far for the November 5 special election to fill the unexpired term of Rep. Jessica Farrar (D-Houston), who is resigning effective September 30:
- Kendra Yarbrough Camarena (D), Houston educator and 2010 Democratic nominee for HD138 (35%)
- Terah Isaacson (D), Houston physician
- Lui LaRotta (R), Houston resident; and
- Mia Mundy (D), Houston executive search consultant and candidate for the 2018 special election for SD6 (2%).
Houston community organizer Anna Núñez (D) and Houston attorney Penny Shaw have established campaign committees for the race but have not filed. Houston ISD Trustee Elizabeth Santos is exploring the race and recently changed the name of her campaign’s Facebook page to “Elizabeth Santos for Texas” from “HISD School Board Trustee Elizabeth Santos, District 1.” The filing deadline is September 4.
©2019 Texas Election Source LLC