HD79 special: At least four candidates have established campaign committees for the January 29 special election to fill the unexpired term of Rep. Joe Pickett (D-El Paso):
- Art Fierro, an El Paso marketing/public relations specialist and El Paso Community Coll. board chair, as a Democrat
- Adrian Guerra, an El Paso investigations business owner, likely as a Democrat
- Michiel Noe, an El Paso physician and D5 council member serving his final term, as a Democrat; and
- Hans Sassenfeld, an El Paso Republican Party activist.
Fierro has been endorsed by the rest of the El Paso Co. legislative delegation. Thursday is the filing deadline.
HD145 special: At least four candidates have established or reactivated campaign committees for the January 29 special election to fill the unexpired House term of Sen. Carol Alvarado (D-Houston):
- Martha Fierro, a Houston nurse who came in third in last month’s SD6 special election (23%)
- Clayton Hunt, a Houston resident who received 10% of the vote as the Libertarian nominee against Alvarado in the 2018 general election
- Christina Morales, a Houston funeral home director; and
- Melissa Noriega, a Houston public policy executive and former council member.
Noriega served during the 2005 legislative session as a temporary acting representative when her husband, then-Rep. Rick Noriega (D-Houston), was deployed. Thursday is the filing deadline.
CD22: Richmond business owner and disabled veteran Joe Walz established a campaign committee for a potential primary challenge of U.S. Rep. Pete Olson (R-Sugar Land). He had previously announced plans to run as an independent.
County officials: Most county officials elected in November took their oaths of office today (Tuesday).
Copperas Cove: Mayor Frank Seffrood, 79, passed away Friday following a brief illness. He had just won a second term as mayor in a December 11 runoff. The city council is expected to order a special election later this year.
©2019 Texas Election Source LLC