Eight days remain in the filing period. At least 283 people have filed for state and legislative offices we track, and at least 105 have filed for Texas congressional seats. This is a little over half of the candidates we have been tracking to date, and we expect others to announce plans this coming week. We also have not received information from the Libertarian and Green Parties, which could add significant numbers of candidates to our Crib Sheets.
Most incumbents who have announced plans to seek re-election have filed. Incumbents who, as far as we can tell, have not yet filed for re-election include:
- Congress – Joaquin Castro
- Statewide – Judge Barbara Hervey and Presiding Judge Sharon Keller
- Senate – Royce West
- House Republicans – Cecil Bell Jr., Lance Gooden, Scott Sanford, Matt Shaheen, J.D. Sheffield and Drew Springer
- House Democrats – Carol Alvarado, Diego Bernal, Terry Canales, Joe Deshotel, Dawnna Dukes, Eddie Lucio III, Victoria Neave, Ron Reynolds, Justin Rodriguez, Shawn Thierry and Armando Walle; and
- Board of Education – Lawrence Allen Jr. and Erika Beltran
Some of these officeholders may have filed and we simply could not find any confirmation of those filings.
We rely on dozens of sources for filing confirmations, including the candidates themselves, local and state parties and the Secretary of State. These sources do not always update their information frequently.
Even after the deadline passes, political parties have another week to submit their final candidate lists to the Secretary of State.
©2017 Texas Election Source LLC