Just under two weeks remain in the filing period. At least 243 people have filed for state and legislative offices we track, and at least 88 have filed for Texas congressional seats. This is less than half of the candidates we have been tracking to date.
Most incumbents who have announced plans to seek re-election have filed. We rely on dozens of sources for filing confirmations, including the candidates themselves, local parties and the Secretary of State.
Incumbents who, as far as we can tell, have not yet filed for re-election include:
- Congress – Ted Cruz, Joe Barton, Joaquin Castro and Louie Gohmert
- Statewide – Atty. Gen. Ken Paxton, Judge Barbara Hervey and Presiding Judge Sharon Keller
- Senate – Royce West
- House Republicans – Cecil Bell Jr., Kyle Biedermann, John Frullo, Lance Gooden, Matt Krause, Andrew Murr, Scott Sanford, Leighton Schubert, Matt Shaheen, J.D. Sheffield, John Smithee, Drew Springer, Ed Thompson and John Wray
- House Democrats – Carol Alvarado, Diego Bernal, Terry Canales, Joe Deshotel, Dawnna Dukes, Roland Gutierrez, Eric Johnson, Eddie Lucio III, Victoria Neave, Ron Reynolds, Justin Rodriguez, Shawn Thierry, Hubert Vo and Armando Walle; and
- Board of Education – Lawrence Allen Jr., Erika Beltran and Tincy Miller.
Some of these officeholders may have filed and we simply could not find any confirmation of those filings. We will of course revisit this list as the end of the filing period nears.
©2017 Texas Election Source