Democratic precinct chairs living in HD146 will select a nominee to replace Rep. Borris Miles (D-Houston) on August 6 at 10 a.m. The Harris Co. Democratic Party has confirmed five candidates “have either given written notice or expressed interest” in the seat:
- Larry Blackmon, a retired education and unsuccessful candidate for Houston city council
- Erica Lee Carter, an educator and Harris County Dept. of Education trustee first elected in 2012
- Rashad Cave, whose web site describes him as a motivational speaker, businessman and entrepreneur.
- Shawn Thierry, an attorney who lost a 2010 race for the 157th Civil District Court; and
- Valenica Williams, a Houston resident (We were not able to identify which of several people with that name is the candidate.).
James Donatto II, a Greater Houston Black Chamber board member, is not on the list, but we have seen campaign-related materials posted to social media sites. Other candidates may yet step forward.
Around 27 precinct chairs are eligible to nominate and vote on replacement candidates.
Miles is abandoning his re-election bid to replace Sen. Rodney Ellis (D-Houston) on the ballot for SD13. Ellis abandoned his re-election bid to replace the late Comm. El Franco Lee (D) on the ballot for Harris Co. Commissioner. All three were unopposed.