HD4 open: The Texas Assoc. of Business BIZPAC endorsed Keith Bell in the Republican runoff over former Rep. Stuart Spitzer (R-Kaufman).
HD107: Sen. Bob Hall (R-Edgewood) endorsed Deanna Metzger in the Republican runoff over Joe Ruziclka.
CD2 open: Former Gov. Rick Perry (R) endorsed Dan Crenshaw in the Republican runoff over Rep. Kevin Roberts (R-Houston).
CD5 open: The Club for Growth Action PAC released a new ad, “Wrong,” accusing Rep. Lance Gooden (R-Terrell) of voting to raise taxes and “make it easier to raise property taxes.”
Close Elections: A number of local elections are too close to call, and several ended in ties, reinforcing the mantra that “Every vote counts.” By law, some mail-in ballots not yet received can still be counted, and provisional ballots can be cured. Recounts are likely. These tight races include:
- Alamo Heights council member Fred Prassel appeared to defeat challenger Mallory Geis by 4 votes.
- Guy Snodgrass, a 32-year Dalworthington Gardens council incumbent, and his challenger Horace Riley are tied with 199 votes each.
- In Denison, a council race will go to a runoff between Charles Shearer (253 votes) and either Rayce Guess or Brian Hander, who tied with 219 votes each.
- A pair of Palestine elections ended in ties. Incumbent council member Doug Smith and opponent Dana Goolsby each received 77 votes. The other tied vote was a charter amendment effectively doubling the amount the mayor and council members are paid.
- Pottsboro ISD’s $27M bond package appeared to fail by 1 vote.
- San Angelo ISD’s $149M bond package appeared to pass by 3 votes, but the outcome could change next week when provisional ballots and any mail-in ballots received from overseas are counted. As many as 479 additional ballots could be counted, but the actual final number is likely to be much lower.
Harris Co.: Gov. Greg Abbott approved the county’s request to hold an emergency special bond election on August 25. The bonds are earmarked for flood-control projects directly related to the region’s ongoing recovery from Hurricane Harvey.
©2018 Texas Election Source LLC