Filing for a place on the 2018 continues until 6 p.m. local time on December 11. Please see our Crib Sheets for candidates’ filing status.
HD30: Rep. Geanie Morrison (R-Victoria) announced she would seek election.
HD45: Security consultant Austin Talley filed for in the Republican primary for the seat being vacated by Rep. Jason Isaac (R-Dripping Springs). We were unable to determine his hometown conclusively.
HD114: Dallas boutique owner Lisa Luby Ryan announced she would challenge Rep. Jason Villalba (R-Dallas) in the Republican primary. We previously reported that she formed a campaign committee for the race.
ED11: Educator Feyi Obamehinti filed to challenge board member Pat Hardy (R-Fort Worth) in the Republican primary.
CD2 open: Houston Republican activist and donor Kathaleen Wall established a campaign committee for a potential run for the seat being vacated by U.S. Rep. Ted Poe (R-Humble). Since 2008, Wall has contributed more than $1.5M to state Republican candidates, groups and PACs including:
- $505,910 to Gov.* Greg Abbott
- $217,626 to former House candidate Dianne Williams, who ran unsuccessfully for HD149 in 2010 and 2012.
- $157,943 to the Harris Co. Republican Party
- $125,000 to Comptroller Glenn Hegar
- $85,500 to Attorney General Ken Paxton
- $76,500 to Texas Right to Life PAC
- $62,633 to Harris Co. Republican Party Chair Paul Simpson
- $55,000 to Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick; and
- $37,750 to Texas Conservative View (of which she was a founder)
She is also a significant contributor to federal campaigns and PACs, including at least 10 members of the Texas delegation so far this year.
* Titles refer to the officeholders’ current office.
CD5 open: Canton combat veteran and fitness business owner Sam Deen established a campaign committee for a potential run for the seat being vacated by U.S. Rep. Jeb Hensarling (R-Dallas) as a Republican.
CD21 open: San Antonio resident Samuel Temple established a campaign committee for a potential run for the seat being vacated by U.S. Rep. Lamar Smith (R-San Antonio) as a Republican. He is at least the eighth person to take a formal step toward seeking the Republican nomination for this seat.
Grassroots America: Tyler-based conservative group Grassroots America We the People issued three more endorsements in the Republican primary:
- HD15 open – former Rep. Steve Toth (R-The Woodlands)
- HD25 – challenger Damon Rambo over Rep. Dennis Bonnen (R-Angleton)
- HD55 – challenger C.J. Grisham over Rep. Hugh Shine (R-Temple)
The group’s first series was released via Twitter last week.
©2017 Texas Election Source LLC