Arlington: WFAA-TV reported that a candidate for city council has been arrested for alleged threats against the wife of Rep. Tony Tinderholt (R-Arlington). Matthew Powers, who is challenging D5 incumbent Lana Wolff, has been charged with misdemeanor harassment.
El Paso: The city council set a June 10 date for a special election to fill the unexpired term of Cortney Niland, who resigned last week but will remain in office until a replacement is elected. The special election coincides with what is expected to be a runoff election for mayor. The filing deadline is May 1.
San Antonio: The San Antonio Express-News endorsed challenger Keith Toney over incumbent Alan Warrick. Toney was appointed to the council to fill Ivy Taylor’s unexpired term when she became mayor but has lost subsequent elections to Warrick.
Local Endorsements: Annie’s List announced it has endorsed 16 candidates on the May 6 uniform election ballot, and the Texas Assoc. of Realtors released another series of endorsements via Twitter.
Annie's List Endorsements
- Dallas – challenger Dominique Torres (D5)
- Dallas ISD – challenger Lori Kirkpatrick (D2)
- El Paso – challenger Alexsandra Annello (D2) and Cassandra Hernandez-Brown (D3 open)
- Fort Worth – Jennifer Trevino (D2 open)
- Grand Prairie ISD – Gloria Carrillo (P3 open)
- Humble ISD – challenger Abby Whitmire (P4)
- Lewisville – challenger Elena Claros (P3)
- Plano – Ann Bacchus (P2 open)
- Richardson – challenger Cory Montfort (P4)
- Round Rock – Hilda Montgomery (Mayor open), challenger Tracie Storie (AL) and Tammy Young (P1 open)
- San Antonio – incumbent Shirley Gonzales (D5) and Melissa Havrda (D6 open); and
- Ysleta ISD – challenger Leila Melendez (D5)
- Abilene – Anthony Williams (Mayor open), Donna Albus (P3 open) and Weldon Hurt (P4 open)
- Allen – Shirley Mangrum (P2 open)
- Belton ISD – incumbent Jason Carothers (AL)
- Port Lavaca – Janice Pritchett (D3), unopposed
- San Angelo – incumbent Lucy Gonzales (D4) and Billie DeWitt (D6 open), and
- San Antonio – Mayor Ivy Taylor; incumbents Roberto Treviño (D1) and Alan Warrick II (D2); and Joseph Cortez (D6 open), Manny Palaez (D8 open) and Clayton Perry (D10 open).