Eight candidates filed for the August 31 special election to fill the unexpired state House term of U.S. Rep. Jake Ellzey (R-Waxahacie):
- Kevin Griffin (R), Midlothian rancher
- Brian Harrison (R), Midlothian former U.S. Health & Human Services official and former CD6 candidate
- Susan Hayslip (R), Waxahachie attorney
- Leland Wickliffe (R), Midlothian real estate agent and city council member
- Former Rep. John Wray (R-Waxahachie)
- Pierina Otiniano (D), Ennis immigration attorney
- Matt Savino (L), Seven Points IT specialist and two-time Libertarian nominee; and
- Scott Goodwin (I), Waxahachie executive.
Early voting begins August 23.
AG: Texas Eagle Forum’s Cathie Adams endorsed former Supreme Court Justice Eva Guzman (R) over Atty. Gen. Ken Paxton (R). Adams was an early endorser of Paxton during his 2014 race.
HD73: New Braunfels social worker Justin Calhoun established a campaign committee for a potential challenge of Rep. Kyle Biedermann (R-Fredericksburg), potentially as a Democrat. Calhoun interned for Rep. Diego Bernal (D-San Antonio) earlier this year.
HD118 open: Universal City real estate agent and former council member Adam Salyer re-established his campaign committee for a potential run in the to-be-scheduled special election. He lost the 2020 general election to Rep. Leo Pacheco (D-San Antonio), 57%-40%.
Election Legislation: Following an all-night filibuster by Sen. Carol Alvarado (D-Houston), the Senate this morning (Thursday) passed Senate Bill 1 by Sen. Bryan Hughes (R-Mineola), the session’s major election bill, on an 18-11 party-line vote. Prior to the filibuster, Hughes accepted several amendments from members from both parties, and several others were voted down, including a floor substitute from Sen. Royce West (D-Dallas). The bill’s fate is uncertain as the House still does not have a quorum and cannot conduct business.
Quorum Break: The Texas Supreme Court issued an emergency stay to block a lower court order barring the arrest of absent Democrats.
©2021 Texas Election Source LLC