We emailed this to our subscribers today:
A few things we’d like to share with you today:
- SC3: The Texas Medical Assoc. PAC endorsed challenger Mike Massengale over Justice Debra Lehrmann. Massengale has previously been endorsed by Texans for Lawsuit Reform and conservative activists Cathie Adams, David Barton, Rick Green (who lost to Lehrmann in the 2010 runoff) and JoAnn Fleming.
- SD24: Rep. Susan King (R-Abilene) announced she would seek the seat being vacated by retiring Sen. Troy Fraser (R-Horseshoe Bay). She becomes the seventh Republican candidate to enter the race.
- HD8: In an advertisement in the Corsicana Daily Sun, Rep. Byron Cook’s campaign printed an invitation to his “Navarro County Campaign Kick-off” on October 30 in Corsicana. The ad lists more than 300 supporters.
- HD54: Killeen Mayor Scott Cosper announced he would seek the seat being vacated by retiring Rep. Jimmie Don Aycock (R-Killeen). Cosper was first elected mayor in 2014 after serving nine years on the city council. Cosper owns a home construction business. He is the second announced Republican in the race.
- HD92: Bedford pastor Scott Fisher is expected to announce, as early as Tuesday, that he will challenge Rep. Jonathan Stickland (R-Bedford) in the Republican primary. Fisher is the former Perry-appointed chair of the Texas Youth Commission and currently chairs the Texas Juvenile Justice Department. He has also served on the Texas Ethics Commission.
- HD98: Northeast Tarrant Tea Party President Julie McCarty told the Texas Tribune’s Morgan Smith that she was not recruiting a candidate to challenge Rep. Giovanni Capriglione (R-Southlake) and she was not going to run against him. McCarty “didn’t want to use up resources” on the race, adding that she believed Capriglione’s conservative ratings will “plummet” next session. She left open the possibility of challenging him in 2018.
- HD126: Klein ISD school board president Steve Smith announced he would seek the Republican nomination for the seat being vacated by retiring Rep. Patricia Harless (R-Spring).
- HD134: Rep. Sarah Davis (R-Houston) announced she would seek re-election.
- PRES: U.S. Rep. Randy Weber (R-Pearland) endorsed U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz, becoming the 6th member of the delegation to do so. Meanwhile, former Comptroller Susan Combs, Rep. Patricia Harless and former PUC Commissioner Julie Parsley head the list of 26 endorsements for Carly Fiorina.
Thank you for being a Texas Election Source subscriber!