The filing period for the May 1 general election ballot ends on Friday.
San Antonio: Former council member Greg Brockhouse kicked off his mayoral campaign, setting up a rematch against Mayor Ron Nirenberg, who narrowly defeated Brockhouse, 51%-49%, in the 2019 runoff. In 2019, no candidate other than Nirenberg (49%) and Brockhouse (46%) received more than 1.6% of the vote, but the other seven candidates collectively forced a runoff.
Seven minor candidates have filed for mayor so far this year:
- Retired educator Gary Allen
- Educator Tim Atwood, who received 1% of the vote in the 2019 mayoral race
- Roofer Ray Basaldua
- Businesswoman Denise Gutierrez-Homer, who finished third in a 2019 race for council Place 2 (20%)
- Perennial candidate Michael “Commander” Idrogo, who is making his 11th consecutive bid for the city’s highest office
- Military veteran J.L. Miller, who has lived in San Antonio for 18 months, and
- Attorney Frank Muniz
More candidates are likely to file by Friday’s deadline.
Stafford: Early voting begins tomorrow (Monday) for the February 20 special election to fill a vacant council seat. Stafford MSD trustee and zoning commission chair Xavier Herrera faces development director Ton Virippan, who received 32% of the vote in the 2020 general election against Rep. Ron Reynolds (D-Missouri City).
©2021 Texas Election Source LLC