Nearly two dozen candidates filed for the May 1 special election to fill the unexpired term of the late U.S. Rep. Ron Wright (R-Arlington) by today’s deadline. The field includes 11 Republicans, 10 Democrats, a Libertarian and an independent candidate. Our Crib Sheet has been updated to reflect the final field.
- Michael Ballantine (R), Arlington educator who unsuccessfully sought the Green Party’s 2012 presidential nomination
- John Anthony Castro (R), Mansfield tax attorney who formed campaign committee for a 2020 primary challenge of U.S. Sen. John Cornyn (R) but did not file
- Mike Egan (R), Arlington financial executive
- Jake Ellzey (R-Waxahachie), who was elected to his first House term in November after losing the 2018 Republican runoff to Wright, 52%-48%
- Brian Harrison (R), Midlothian citizen who was a former U.S. Health and Human Services chief of staff and indicated on his ballot application that his profession was “swamp drainer”
- Sery Kim (R), Arlington attorney and former U.S. Small Business Administration official
- Travis Rodermund (R), Arlington police officer
- Dan Rodimer (R), Mansfield business owner and former professional wrestler who lost a 2020 race for Congress in Nevada
- Jenny Garcia Sharon (R), Austin volunteer caregiver who lost the 2020 race for CD35 (30%)
- Michael Wood (R), Arlington business owner
- Susan Wright (R), Arlington former legislative aide, State Republican Executive Committee member and Wright’s widow
- Tammy Allison (D), Grand Prairie attorney
- Lydia Bean (D), Arlington sociologist who lost the 2020 race for HD93 (45%)
- Daryl Eddings Sr. (D), Midlothian business owner
- Matt Hinterlong (D), Dallas developer
- Shawn Lassiter (D), Fort Worth educator who withdrew from a race for Fort Worth city council to seek this seat
- Patrick Moses (D), Mansfield pastor and retired law enforcement
- Manuel Salazar (D), Arlington real estate agent
- Jana Lynne Sanchez (D), Waxahachie songwriter, who lost the 2018 race for this seat (45%)
- Brian Stephenson (D), Houston systems engineer
- Chris Suprun (D), Arlington paramedic and “faithless elector” who received 51 votes in the 2018 special election for CD27
- Phil Gray (L), Tyler property manager whose most recent campaign was for CD27 in 2020 (2%); and
- Adrian Mizher (I), Kennedale banker.
The field fell one candidate short of the 24 candidates who ran in a 1993 special election for the unexpired term of former U.S. Sen. Lloyd Bentsen (D).
Early voting begins April 19.
U.S. Rep. Chip Roy (R-Austin) endorsed Susan Wright.