HD68 special: Early voting begins tomorrow (Monday) for the January 23 special election to fill the unexpired House term of Sen. Drew Springer (R-Muenster). Five candidates are on the ballot:
- John Berry (R), Jacksboro financial planner and former Jack County Commissioner
- Jason Brinkley (R), Gainesville attorney and Cooke County Judge
- Craig Carter (R), Nocona boot manufacturer who has twice unsuccessfully run for SD30
- Charles Gregory (D), Childress retired postal employee; and
- David Spiller (R), Jacksboro attorney and Jacksboro ISD board member.
Candidates’ 8-day-out campaign finance reports are due January 15, which is the same day that January semiannual reports are due. The 8-day-out reports include contributions received and expenditures made during the first 13 days of 2021. The January semiannual reports cover any activity prior to January 1 going back to the candidate’s previous report or the creation of their campaign account.
Session: The 87th Regular Session of the Texas Legislature convenes Tuesday at noon. House members are expected to elect Rep. Dade Phelan (R-Beaumont) as speaker.
SEN: The Houston Chronicle editorial board called on U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz (R) to resign. The San Antonio Express-News editorial board called for his expulsion. Cruz is not up for re-election until 2024.
PRES: President Trump will visit Alamo on Tuesday to tout border wall construction efforts. The day coincides with the opening of the Texas Legislature.
Local Elections: Wednesday is the first day to file for a spot on the May 1 general election ballot.
©2021 Texas Election Source LLC